- Hike Distance: .8 to 4 Miles
- Denver Drive Time: 50
- Difficulty: Medium
- Duration: 45min to 2hr 30min+
- Activities: Picnicking, Hiking Trails
- Dogs: Allowed on Leash
Waterfalls close to Denver, Colorado don’t have a lot of wow-factor, but they make great for great destination hikes. There are 3 ways to hike to Maxwell falls. Our favorite is the Cliff Trail loop because it gives you the falls a reward at the end. The falls are more of a series cascades, but are worth the hike.
You have several options for your hike to Maxwell Falls.
1. The Short Version: Less than 1 mile round trip – Begin at the Upper Trailhead and follow the signs to the falls. It’s just under half a mile, one way.
2. The Cliff Trail Loop: 3 Miles – Start at the upper trailhead lot. The trail will split a couple times and you’ll want to bear left, following the signs that point you down the Cliff Trail. You’ll climb a bit to a rock promontory that gives you beautiful views of the valley below. You will begin a descent to the creek bed, then the trail will turn and head upstream. Follow it until you hear the falls. After the falls, follow the trail back up to the upper lot.
3. Lower Maxwell Falls Hike – 4 Miles Round Trip – Begin at the lower parking area and hike up the valley and along Maxwell Creek for about 2 miles. About 1.7 miles along the trail, you’ll cross to the other side of the creek. Shortly after that, you’ll hear the falls. Return the same way you came.
Happy Colorado Hiking
- More Colorado Waterfall Hikes Near Denver
- Forsythe Canyon: A Woodland Hike to Waterfall and Lake
- Nearby: Evergreen Lake Loop Hike
- Nearby: Alderefer/Three Sisters Park