- Hike Distance: 12 miles (RT)
- Denver Drive Time: 1hr
- Difficulty: Difficult
- Duration: 5-7hrs
- Elevation Gain: Approx. 1200′
- Link to Trail Map
- Activities: Hiking, Fishing, Viewing Wildlife
Looking for amazing views and some high mountain lakes near Denver? This 8.5 mile round trip hike takes you to 2 high mountain lakes with amazing views of the Mt. Evans Wilderness area. Both lakes can be fished, as well as the lower Idaho Springs Reservoir that you pass on your way. We are not into giving long trail descriptions on Dayhikes Near Denver, but we’d suggest you read the basic one below and check out the trail description and pdf link in the links box.
- Don’t Miss: 1 – The Upper Lake & 2 – The Cascade between the two lakes
- Check the Weather before heading up. Use the following link to National Weather Service page for Mt. Evans
- Trail Description: Start at Echo Lake Parking lot -> Follow Sign near lot for Chicago Lakes Trail 52 -> follow another sign to Chicago lakes after .5 mile -> Idaho Springs Reservoir Road (about 1mile) -> through large burn area -> lower lake -> upper lake.
- Look over trail descriptions from Deb Stanley & David Day before heading out.
- Finish your hike enjoying a slice of Barbara Day’s famous pie at Echo Lake Lodge